It’s been a while since a TV compilation CD release contained many tracks I didn’t already have in my collection but ‘TV IS THE THING’ ( Fifties and Sixties Television Themes) is one of those rare breeds. Containing some programmes I’d never heard of, but the themes are instantly likable.
‘The Pursuers‘ a series that ran for forty episodes (1961) and starred Louis Hayward as Inspector Bollinger in his pursuit of criminals and scoundrels on the mean streets of London with the aid of his trusty German Shepherd dog. This orchestral theme was Penned by the great Malcolm Lockyer, best known for his work on the 1960’s ‘Doctor Who and the Darleks’ film.
Then we have ‘Outbreak of Murder’ a seven episode series with Glyn Houston as Inspector Mitchell of Scotland Yard, who was tasked with investigating two murders. Gordon Franks was behind this composition, the man responsible for the theme tunes to the ‘The Rag Trade’, ‘Father Dear Father' and the BBC solo vehicle for Sid James ‘ Citizen James’, which also features on this collection.
One of the Highlights for me is ‘Lunchbox’ played by Jerry Allen. Before Crossroads Noele Gordon presented this daytime sing-a-long / Chat show which was made in, and seldom broadcast outside the ATV Midlands region.
The Radio Luxemburg Kent Walton’s pop show was made into a TV programme, retitled ‘Honey Hit Parade ‘ the theme called ‘The Beat Way’ is presented here, and Ted Heath plays very much in his own unique style. Steve Stannard performs ‘Man of Mystery’ the series theme from ’The Edgar Wallace Mysteries’, this series of films was originally made for cinema in the early 1960s but was snapped up by the ITV companies and used to fill up their schedules during the 1960’s and 70’s. The Shadows had a hit with the theme, but it was never used in the series.
This Album starts with Dinah Washington singing ‘TV is The Thing’ which admittedly was never a TV theme, but what a great way to start off the collection!.
Also included is a Cha Cha Versions of Z Cars and 77 Sunset strip which is all very jolly.
And if that wasn’t enough nostalgia, segued between the tracks is a collection of period adverts composed by John and Joan Shakespeare.
A full track listing is given below:
1. TV IS THE THING - Dinah Washington
2. THE PURSUERS - Malcolm Lockyer
3. ROUTE 66 - John Gregory
4. OUTBREAK OF MURDER - Gordon Franks
5. SASHA'S THEME - Sasha Distel
6. SUPERCAR - Charles Blackwell
7. THE DESPERADOES - Cambridge Strings
8. GURNEY SLADE - Alan Ainsworth
9. THE BEAT WAY (FROM HONEY HIT PARADE) - Ted Heath And His Music
10. Z CARS - John Warren Orchestra
11. 77 SUNSET STRIP - Pete Candoli And His Orchestra
12. LUNCHBOX - Jerry Allen
13. LAS VEGAS (FROM ANIMAL MAGIC) - Laurie Johnson
14. SOOTY'S PARTY (EXCERPT) - Harry Corbett
15. CHAMPION THE WONDER HORSE - Frankie Laine
16. CUTTY SARK (FROM DATELINE) - John Barry
17. DANGER MAN - Alan Swain
18. THE AVENGERS - Johnny Dankworth
19. M SQUAD - John Gregory
20. MAN OF MYSTERY (FROM THE EDGAR WALLACE MYSTERIES) - Steve Stannard
21. SAM BENEDICT - Johnny Keating
22. SID'S THEME (FROM CITIZEN JAMES) - Gordon Franks
23. EGGHEADS - Bryan Blackburn And Peter Evans
24. CHICK SHAPE - Craig Douglas
Croydon Muicipal and available from Amazon on CD and Download from the link
This Album without doubt gets the
Radio Sounds Familiar 5 Stars thumbs up.
Purchase 'TV IS THE THING' Here
In : General Chat
Tags: ''tv is the thing'' ''lunchbox'' ''honey hit parade'' ''man of mystery''
blog comments powered by Disqus